Alan S. Nasar, MD, FAAOSBoard Certified Orthopedic Surgeon | Fellowship Trained in Joint Replacement Surgery
Dr. Nasar is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon at Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute. He completed his BS in mechanical engineering at The Cooper Union in New York and earned his MD at the University of Medicine and Dentistry New Jersey Medical School. He then completed an internship and residency in orthopedics at Stony Brook University Hospital in New York. Dr. Nasar also participated in a fellowship in joint replacement surgery at the Desert Orthopedic Center in Nevada. Through his education, he completed an extra year of specialization in minimally-invasive total join replacements.
Today, Dr. Nasar is the Director of the Total Joint Center of New Jersey at CentraState, Chairman of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at CentraState, and the Director of Orthopedics at The Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center in Freehold, New Jersey. In addition, he is a professional member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the Monmouth County Medical Society, the New Jersey Medical Society, and New Jersey Orthopedic Society.
Dr. Nasar developed interest in artificial joint design during his specialized training in biomechanics and biomaterials at The Cooper Union. His experience as a mechanical engineer gives him an intimate knowledge of the design and function of artificial joint prostheses which enables him to select the most appropriate device for each patient. He uses the most advanced bearing surfaces, such as ceramic and enhanced polyethylene, for maximum longevity. He has been an early adopter and has provided feedback to designers regarding advanced surgical techniques such as computer-assisted joint replacement surgery and patient specific instrumentation which have been created to achieve the most accurate placement of implants.
Dr. Nasar’s goals are to restore patients to their previous activity level, minimize pain, and facilitate rapid recovery. With advanced components and techniques, his objective is to perform joint replacement surgery that can last a lifetime. He has a particular interest in advanced pain management techniques, which combined with minimally invasive surgery, can lead to less discomfort and a more rapid return to work and leisure activities.
- Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement: Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement, Shoulder Replacement
- Arthroscopy and Reconstruction Surgery: Hip Arthroscopy and Knee Arthroscopy
- Revision Joint Replacement: Revision Knee Replacement, Revision Hip Replacement
- Joint Preservation Surgery: Cartilage Resurfacing and Partial Joint Replacements
- Adult and Pediatric Fracture and Trauma Care
- Sports Medicine, including: Shoulder, Elbow, Hip, Knee, Foot/Ankle
- Joint and Cartilage Restoration Surgery
- Orthobiologics: Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Hyaluronic Acid Injections
- Advanced Imaging: Ultrasound and Fluoroscopic Guided Injections
Education and Training
- College Education: The Cooper Union – New York, NY – BS
- Medical Education: UMDNJ- New Jersey Medical School – Newark, NJ – MD
- Internship: SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital – Stony Brook, NY
- Residency: SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital – Stony Brook, NY
- Fellowship: Joint Replacement Surgery, Desert Orthopedic Center – Las Vegas, NV
- Chairman, Department of Orthopedic Surgery at CentraState Medical Center, Freehold NJ
- Medical Director of The Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, Freehold, NJ
- Director of The Total Joint Center of New Jersey at CentraState Medical Center, Freehold NJ
- Executive Board Member, Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute, Freehold, NJ
- President, Pond View Professional Park Condominium Association, Freehold, NJ
- CentraState Medical Center
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Raritan Bay Medical Center – Old Bridge